REST & RECOVERY
Rest is a combination of sleep (naps included) and time spent not exercising. Simple enough, right? For some people, sleep may not come easy or even be considered “restful.” But getting the right amount of sleep is essential for your health. Listen to your body. Are you getting enough? Maybe even too much? Both can make us feel sluggish, so get those 8 hours!
Do you want to feel more rested?
- Put away your phone at least an hour before bed, and minimize any other artificial lights.
- Read a book that you enjoy (maybe skip the thrillers?)
- Go to bed before midnight. The hours slept before 12 at night have proven to be the most beneficial.
- Keep fresh, cool air circulating where you sleep
- When the urge to take a midday nap comes, do it (with a weighted blanket for added relaxation). But set an alarm and stick to it. A 20-minute power nap can help recharge you, calm you, and fuel the rest of your day.
Meanwhile, recovery refers to purposeful actions taken to maximize your body’s repair. This includes being sure you are hydrated, eating nutritious meals and snacks, managing time spent standing versus sitting versus lying down, stretching, stress management, and of course, using appropriate compression (you know, like socks).
- When you are sore, listen to your body and stretch those areas.
- Drink water! There is no exception to this. Whether you are working out or resting, it is vital to drink plenty of water to allow our bodies to function properly. Avoid adding sugar packed flavor packets to your water. If you need something to spice it up, try a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- Don’t underestimate the power of compression. It is arguably one of the most used methods of recovery from athletes everywhere. I’m not talking about compression socks (though they are GREAT for recovery) – I’m talking about weighted blankets. The Deep Touch Pressure (DTP) provided by the weight of a weighted blanket gives you the feeling of being embraced, which has been recorded to release serotonin, which promotes relaxation!
Let us know what you think about those tips, and feel free to share some of your own! Also – we want to know how you are loving your Go2 Weighted Blanket! Don’t have one yet? Check them out here or on Amazon!